Grammar Basics Workshop
Click the ‘add to cart’ button at the bottom of the page to begin enrolment in this course.
This interactive, self-paced and accredited (TQI/NESA) online course features a series of lectures interspersed with engaging activities. The course covers the key components of grammatical subject knowledge that are required for the Australian Curriculum English. The course is designed for primary and secondary teachers who are not confident in their knowledge of grammar or those wanting to revise. The course has been tailored to help you understand English grammar as documented in the Australian Curriculum: English under Sentences and Clause-level grammar and Word-level grammar.
The course aims to help you:
- Understand the basic concepts of English grammar
- Develop confidence in using grammatical metalanguage (terminology)
- Improve your ability to analyse the grammar of texts
- Help you to use grammar to improve your students’ literacy skills
- Help you understand the needs of students from diverse linguistic backgrounds
- Begin the process of developing engaging activities for teaching grammar
The course will cover the following:
- Parts of speech/word classes – nouns, verbs, adjectives etc
- Verb systems – main/auxiliary; finite/non-finite; transitive/intransitive
- Word groups/phrases
- Sentences – simple, compound and complex
- Grammatical function – Subject, object, complement, adverbial etc
- Active and passive sentences
- Teaching strategies and activities
About the instructor:
The facilitator of this flexible online course, Margaret McBride, has over 30 years English language teaching experience and has worked as a sessional University lecturer/tutor in teacher education for post-graduate and master’s degree students.
Note for NSW Teachers
During Covid-19 completing Grammar Basics Workshop online will contribute 5 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 6.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teachers.
Important: One account for the course is created per purchase. If enrolling multiple teachers, please purchase separately. Ensure you log out between each registration (via the My Account tab), to ensure a new account is created.