Grammar Basics Workshop (Canada)
Click the ‘add to cart’ button at the bottom of the page to begin enrolment in this course.
This course is for Canadian teachers who want to increase their knowledge of grammar. This self-paced online course is organised into a series of mini lessons to help you learn grammar step-by-step, with lots of chances to practice and refine your new knowledge.
The course aims to help you:
- Understand the basic concepts of English grammar
- Develop confidence in using grammatical metalanguage (terminology)
- Improve your ability to analyse the grammar of texts
- Use grammar to improve your students’ literacy skills
- Understand the needs of students from diverse linguistic backgrounds
- Begin the process of developing engaging activities for teaching grammar
The course will cover the following:
- Parts of speech/word classes – nouns, verbs, adjectives etc.
- Verb systems – main/auxiliary, finite/non-finite, transitive/intransitive
- Word groups/phrases
- Sentences – simple, compound, complex
- Grammatical function – subject, object, complement, adverbial etc.
- Active and passive sentences
- Teaching strategies and activities
About the instructor:
The facilitator of Grammar Basics Workshop, Margaret McBride (BA, M.Ed), has over 30 years of English language teaching experience. Margaret has also taught teacher education and grammar at universities to post-graduate and master’s degree students.
Important: One account for the course is created per purchase. If enrolling multiple teachers, please purchase separately. Ensure you log out between each registration (via the My Account tab), to ensure a new account is created. If you would like to pay for multiple registrations through direct debit, please contact us through the Contact tab.